We take our role in the communities within which we work seriously, both as an employer and a business. Everyone at TLT is allowed three hours paid leave every month to volunteer, whether for a charity, school or other community enterprise of their choice. We have a number of ongoing programmes that our people can get involved in, focused on encouraging attainment, aspiration and ambition in the community.
We believe that time spent outside the normal working environment plays an important part in our own development and learning. So, we treat volunteering in the same way as other work deliverables, with clear objectives set at the start and then evaluated through the appraisal and supervision process.
Here are some examples of the type of projects we're involved with:
- Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership: we provide volunteers to help children aged between 4 and 11 years old with their reading, comprehension, speaking and listening skills. Children are selected by the school for a variety of reasons, including a lack of confidence, not having English as a first language, or simply because they need encouragement with their reading.
- Ablaze: for over seven years we've been involved with Ablaze through reading and mentoring schemes. The charity aims to improve attainment, attendance and achievement in schools. http://www.ablazebristol.org/
- Apprenticeship schemes: we offer an Intermediate Apprenticeship in Legal Administration, in partnership with DAMAR Training. As part of this programme, apprentices are offered a one year contract with us.
- Arts & Business: we provide ongoing support to several Arts & Business initiatives including for Room 13, an art project for young people. They produce and rent art collections for businesses to display in their offices or meeting rooms.
- Business in the Community: we're a longstanding and active member of this business-led charity. Activities include taking part in BITC's annual Give & Gain Day, volunteering in community projects local to our offices. This includes projects like a day of gardening for a social housing hostel run by Hestia, running a charity shop for the day and painting a community park.